Monday, June 22, 2009

Mysterious Fascination

What is it about stickers that makes them so appealing?

Have you ever noticed this? Stickers are so exciting, yet they are a relatively cheap, simple item. I have only a few stickers in my possession and I hoard them. I don't remember the last time I put a sticker on a piece of paper or any other item. It's just too big of an event. It requires a lot of meditation. If I put this sticker here, it will be here forever, and if I change my mind about its placement, the only way to get it up is to chisel it off or destroy it with Goo Gone. The sticker will be nonexistent once it is removed. Stickers really just have one chance at life.

I had a sticker collection as a kid, and I honestly couldn't tell you what possessed me to get rid of it because I loved that collection, but I sold all of my stickers in one quick moment at a garage sale. I think a teacher took them, so I'm glad they went to a good home, but I still think about that.
Is anyone else this perplexed about stickers? There's just really something about a picture with an adhesive backing. I can't put my finger on it, and am far from finished wondering about it.

3 comments:

  1. I thought I was the only one who was apprehensive about my sticker usage. I saved the sticker I got when I bought my apple computer for almost two years before deciding where to put it. It now resides happily on the back of my car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what or why it is, but I know that the prize of possibly receiving a sticker puts even the worst Japanese junior high and high school students at full attention and cooperation.

    And, I never used my apple sticker either. Nor did I sell my sticker collection. (I don't think...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i knew i was not alone is this.

    ReplyDelete