Thursday, September 2, 2010

Greetings from the place where they make you read. And never let you stop.

I don't really have a "final draft," if you will, of my schedule for the semester (i.e. I have my class schedule, but I haven't fully defined what I should do during big breaks between classes on each day). But it is becoming clear to me that it is likely I will have to spend Fridays doing research for my graduate assistant position.

Um...let me just say for all of us, everywhere: who wants to spend Friday researching? I wish I could do it earlier in the week, but for a lot of the time I'm not sure that's possible.

So right now I'm pretty tired, had a busy week, published two stories, went to classes, wrote things, read things, walked many steps upon campus sidewalks. Ate candy corn and Doritos for most meals.

So yeah. I'm pretty ready to call it a week and watch soaps tomorrow with Dibby. But I'll be heading to my job with my new friend Amrita to read, and then read some more. And then go to a meeting for my government beat at 4:00 for the paper I write for this semester. Because did I mention that those weekly meetings are also at the end of the day on Friday?

Oh well. It'll be December before I know it (my attitude is rarely this forgiving). And then I can adjust to a whole new schedule!

Yay, graduate school!

In that vein, I came across an article on npr.org yesterday about three books you need to read to survive grad school. I loved that one of them was about men traveling across Antarctica in 1914. The whole point of the recommendation was that your life could be worse than graduate school. Perfectly snarky. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment