Thursday, February 2, 2012

Feb. 2

Today's one of my favorite days of the year, friends!

Groundhog Day!

I love that on my calendar, featuring pictures from the university, this holiday is one considered worthy of a mention on its little block of space on the page. 

Why do I like this holiday so much? 

Because it's ridiculous. It's really weird. Yet in my mind it's relatively harmless, thus it's just a really random excuse for fun. And we all know that January and February can be downer months, so why not inject a little frivolity and nonsense? 

People have issues with Valentine's Day--which I can understand, though I generally take the opportunity to enjoy free candy on Feb. 14--but I would hope some of those protesters would recognize that Groundhog Day does not discriminate against the non-romantically attached and offer the holiday at least one brownie point for that.

So go forth and examine your shadow (your literal shadow only, please. I don't want to prescribe a day of negative introspection for y'all, because I think you're pretty cool (well, assuming I know you)). Enjoy the mild winter weather if you have it (like we, thankfully, do currently here in mid-Missouri) and watch the classic Bill Murray flick if you have access to it. And embrace the silliness. 

Unless you want to be a grump about it, which, well, free country. 

2 comments:

  1. You love groundhog's day because I hate it. I hate it because it's stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you need an attitude check, bro.

    ReplyDelete