Friday, April 5, 2019

The Daily Bailey: A Decade of Gifts

I admit it’s a little weird to commemorate/honor/celebrate something that, of late, I’ve neglected. But this blog has laid so much groundwork for my life, and if I never started it I maybe wouldn’t see myself as a writer today, and boy would my life feel different. As I’ve reflected on the past decade as a blogger (10 years today, what?!), I decided it’s appropriate to make a list of 10 gifts that the Daily Bailey has given to me. Because without her generosity, I might be pretty lost. So without further ado, here are the gifts this dear blog has bestowed upon my life and person:
1.       Assurance
When I started blogging, my ultimate dream was to know that my words could make others know that they weren’t alone. That dream has come true for me, as readers have come back and told me that I helped them feel they were in good company. In reading those responses, I realized I wasn’t alone, either, and that was a miracle I never saw coming.
2.       Belief
After blogging for 10 years, and letting that springboard me into other genres and industries of writing, I truly believe that I am a writer. What’s more, Y’all call me a writer, and that’s just notarized validation right there. Really, though, it means the world to hear that title attached to my name. Crazy, wild, beautiful journey I never knew I was setting out on.
3.       Practice
Even though I’ve sweated out my beginner’s fear in newsrooms, the blog has provided me with more consistent and valuable practice as a writer. I’ve learned that even if no one reads a post, it’s still worthwhile to throw my heart into it. Writers aren’t made by influence nor affluence. Writers make, and it’s up to us to say what we must, regardless of audience.
4.       Distraction
Whether I’m on deadline to turn in a magazine piece, avoiding filing my taxes, or when I was in graduate school especially, blogging has become one of my favorite forms of procrastination. It makes me feel productive, sometimes garners reader discussion, and…it always provides me with more of that great teacher: practice.
5.       Confidence
Without my blog as a base, I wouldn’t have considered studying journalism, but doing so led me to my life here. Several jobs and situations have made me feel like my edges were mis-cut, but thanks to the established confidence that had been laid by blog experience, I learned that I could power my way through challenges and become a more well-rounded writer.
6.        Hope
While my career doesn’t look the way I want it to, my vocation does. I feel truly called to write, and that alongside the continual encouragement I get from friends and readers gives me a forward-looking mindset. Knowing that blogging could have gone in any direction (or nowhere), but decided to go somewhere gives me faith that things will continue to be borne of that initial effort.
7.       Outlet
So many emotional wounds have been lanced via writing for this blog, and if not fully healed at least some of the poison got out once I knew that I wasn’t keeping my thoughts to myself. Making vulnerability so public has definitely had its share of misgivings, but ultimately it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
8.       Rest
In the blogosphere and beyond, I have been heard, and what's more, loved in response, and that conducts such incredible peace.
9.       Purpose
Growing up in a loving family, with good friends and supportive mentors and teachers, and believing in a God who loves us all, I have never doubted that I have value. But purpose is another animal that one has to really chase in order to trust he’s there; purpose has a way of disappearing around corners, making one feel lost in the forest. My purpose still plays hide-and-seek on occasion, but I know she’ll always return to heart base.
10.   You
This blog has fostered so much community it my life it’s essentially ridiculous. I have literally made friends through the vehicle of the Daily Bailey, and I truly feel that in allowing me to test the waters as a writer, blogging has provided me with opportunities which have led me to new places which have landed me on barstools having conversations with all of you. Whether I was tapping out responses to your comments on my phone or passing along a business card to a complete stranger, the Daily Bailey has wholeheartedly connected me to fascinating, loving, funny, thoughtful people who have gotten me through very difficult times.
So on this anniversary day in my life, let me raise this here post to YOU.
So much love and then more love and then guess what more love.
And not least of all, we raise this post to my dear sweet mama, a woman who shares her initials with the Dailey Bailey and who once said, “Bails, I think you should start a blog.” What a smart woman. Love you, Mom. Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment