Monday, April 8, 2019

A weekend that won

 
This weekend was a service to my soul, a tune-up for my attitude, a peace amidst questions.
 
So many tiny, amazing things happened, and even with tears involved it was basically perfect.
 
I finished it with a 12-hour night of sleep and woke up still sleepy. Sufficiently worn out and supersaturated with gratitude. Supergratituded.
 
***
 
I had a party on Friday to celebrate the Daily Bailey's 10th birthday. Friends came out to be a part of the event, and I reveled in the miracle that (save one of the people in attendance) I knew none of them seven years ago. These are friends I've met at a wings restaurant, a Gin Blossoms concert, a backyard BBQ, church, even through blogging itself.
 
I made a quiz about the blog and people asked if the different colors of paper it was printed on meant that the quiz had various versions.
 
"That's just because I like color," I explained, and assured them the quiz was strictly voluntary, because if there's one thing I hate it's mandatory games at parties.
 
Alex, angel that he is, recognized I was busy circulating among the attendees, hosting it with the most of it, and offered to grade the exams.
 
I kneeled atop a bar stool and read the answers in the crowded brewery, and my friends gathered close to hear the results and eagerly shout which ones they thought were correct. Our proctor Alex revealed the surprised winner, a faithful reader of the blog who scored a 7/11.
 
There was rainbow-colored cake with cookie dough bites edging the rim, a last-minute text sent just in time to a guest who hadn't arrived requesting she bring candles.
 
There was an exorbitant fee for "cake cutting" even though we just borrowed a knife and did the cutting ourselves, but the service staff was so kind and calm and attentive with us that I switched my annoyance into the perspective that this was just an extra tip to thank them for all their help.
 
People stayed late and ordered happy hour food. One friend left then returned later with another friend in tow. I got sleepy but knew it was amazing that people had gathered for my milestone and so I bucked up and enjoyed their excitement as they found Ninja Turtle stickers and SpongeBob tattoos and coupons for karaoke and hiking dates in their party favor bags.
 
I fell asleep in my jeans and woke up pleased and content.
 
***
 
Alex and I jogged around the block, and I stopped to walk but didn't spiral into feelings of failure.
 
I felt the endorphins arrive and smeared ivory foundation over my splotched, athletic face.
 
A group of musicians whom we've met through an open mic performed a showcase, and when we arrived they all got big grins on their faces and pulled us into hugs, so excited that we showed up. One of them played a song that I didn't request, but he knows it's my favorite of his and that I listen to it regularly to calm down and rest inside a moment. He told me after his set that he had played it on purpose, and our beers clicked in the sound of friendship.
 
I cleaned my room and my bathroom and lit candles of different hues and scents while a cracked window brought in fresh breath.
 
Feeling self-conscious about something I cried, and Alex tickled me to make me laugh, and at some point the tears stopped. (Then I showed him that video of the girl who's crying and cheers up thanks to Fraggle Rock and peanut butter and jelly, and we agreed with zero joking that she is just like me.)
 
With my body curved in an L-shape, I took a nap, then went out for pizza and salad. Put gas in the car, bought cat litter, went back home and quickly fell asleep again.
 
I ate macaroni salad and de-scaled the coffee maker and called my mom.
 
I wore a dress and started two books, gathered papers into a stack and put away laundry I washed the week before.
 
I painted my nails to look like Easter eggs, to literally have color at my fingertips.
 
But even if this weekend had nails in the nude, or a cake without funfetti, or quizzes printed on paper white, it would have been filled with hues a many. Because the tiny, amazing things, and the giant, generous hearts that filled it are so colorful my life feels like a stationery shop where everything is free. Cards of mint and pens of coral, washi tape of grape and stamps of flora.
 
My friends are a boutique of paper and pencils, and coming from this writer, that's a compliment to be reckoned with.
 
Thanks to all who helped us celebrate far and wide, who offer me giggles and endorphins and cheers over beers on the regular. Your color reminds me this life isn't black and white, and that it doesn't have to be sad like grey either.
 
Xox

No comments:

Post a Comment