Thursday, June 20, 2019

Grateful

I know this whole, "List things you're grateful for" thing is all en vogue at the moment, but, well I don't have a rebuttal to that. I'm just participating. Vogue. Strike a pose.
 
Today I'm grateful for the following:
 
The affordability of tea
 
The return to rest after missteps and misspoken words
 
Pants that fit
 
Pop music
 
Minty, silky lip balm
 
Opportunities
 
Cheap, walk-in massage places
 
Running into a friend at the store in a city of 4 million
 
To be reading again. Beautiful novels and silly junk alike.
 
When I am window shopping and reason with myself, "Bails, you already have that at home," the statement is true. I am not without.
 
Same thing goes for friends. I have those in abundance.
 
If I never publish or even write a book, I am still a child of God and I still hold value in the lives of many
 
Payday tomorrow
 
Squishy blond nephews
 
Max is digging his new salmon/egg/sweet potato food
 
A planned read-along of Steinbeck with a precious girlfriend
 
Casual Friday
 
Clean hair
 
Nail clippers
 
Epsom salt, infused with eucalyptus
 
Feeling the bags under my eyes goes heavy as I pause to listen to meditation music
 
Eased traffic now that school is out
 
Quoting Cool Runnings with a friend via text and laughing maniacally out loud in a public place
 
Feeling safe, even when discontent
 
A box of mac and cheese waiting for me in the pantry
 
Parents who answer the phone several times a week and spend 40 minutes jabbering with me during every call
 
The strange, unknown reason why I am a magnet for my girlfriends' hand-me-down clothes
 
Friends who blaze their own trail. Even though their journeys make me jealous, they do show me that paths are many.
 
Simple, colorful, pendant necklaces
 
Invites to concerts and dinners before each show
 
Room temperature, sliced tomatoes with salt
 
Perfume
 
Cracking up at texts from my brothers
 
This new sunscreen that Neutrogena put out that smells ever so slightly of coconuts
 
All the daylight, and the hug of warm air that greets me after work
 
The harmony of Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins, a cappella, and that some genius was smart enough to record it before the latter passed
 
Antacids
 
Naps
 
Local breweries
 
People who are kind. Always people who are kind. They resuscitate and embolden me again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment