Thursday, June 15, 2023

The world as chatterbox


There is a barista at my neighborhood Starbucks named Baylie, and nine times out of 10 whoever takes my order at the register spells my name on the cup using her spelling rather than mine and I think that's sweet. It shows affection for their own, and they do seem to like Baylie, particularly this one young man on their team with whom she seems to have a little flirting thang going on. :)

I hope it works out between them, and that they invite me to lead the espresso toast at their wedding, having been a homonym of the bride and all.*

*And also a former Starbucks barista, thank you very much.

Speaking of coffee shops, and restaurants like Panera where people camp out with their laptops or come to catch up with a friend over lunch -- do y'all share my same overwhelming annoyance in overhearing others' conversations?!? Is it just me??

Look, I understand that these are the exact places designed for folks to gather and chat and not be expected to keep quiet. This isn't the library, I get it. But the particular way that my blood pressure rises and the urge to roll my eyes becomes so intense when I have to listen to people across the way talking about their dating lives, or their kid's dance class, or their particular contributions to this work Zoom they're on...forget it. I can't. I mean, I would say many types of situations in life cause me to arrive at my worst, but in the listening-to-others-gab category, oh I'm at my worst. (Ya know, when I'm not busy being at my worst stuck in traffic or waiting too long to eat lunch or just generally judging and being jealous of people.)

Truly though, I completely get the fact that people have the right to assemble in a coffee shop and that hundreds of times I am SURE I have been the annoying one yapping one table over driving some other cranky lady hyped up on too much caffeine nuts while she has to listen to me talk about my cat or CĂ©line Dion or whatever middle school novel I'm currently reading in great detail. 

I understand that this is a normal part of daily life, in a period in history when there are a whole lot of us on the planet and so we are bound to be near each other in close proximity a lot. I also recognize that sometimes the nearby ramblings of others don't bother me one bit -- so much of it depends on how well-fed, well-rested, well-hydrated and generally happy I am in a moment to determine how accommodating or irritable I might be. 

I don't really have a point here (I rarely do). I suppose I'm just looking for a communal "Amen" that we're all annoyed with each other, with the same exact strangers who in other moments we can deeply love and find true connection with.  

I guess what I'm saying is that rational understanding doesn't always breed patience, or sympathy, or compassion or general reasonable, civil reactions from humans. At least not from this human. 

Until next time, Friends.  -- The DB

No comments:

Post a Comment