Friday, March 2, 2012

Bird buddies

Walking to my office today, I saw a cardinal in a tree. So beautiful. He was by himself. Perched on a branch. So red. So incredible.

I'm trying to meditate on the words "Still more awesome than I know" today, and having them with me during my birdwatching reminded me how awesome it is that God gives us birds. I used to be scared of birds, with their beady eyes (I was chased through a zoo rain forest exhibit by a little blue bird number once, and the experience didn't leave me quickly). Now I think they're amazing.

I stopped for a moment to look at the cardinal, then walked on. I came across a robin, who decided that he wasn't going to fly this morning.

"No thanks, I fly every other day, I'm gonna run a little bit today." These are the words I gave him, charitable word-giving human that I am. 

He ran toward a tree, then backtracked, then looked at me--though not really, as their eyes are on the sides of their heads. He looked a little confused, like he was saying, "I don't know where to go." But he didn't seem too distressed, just a little overwhelmed with options. He's not used to running, so he's still getting acquainted with the land.

1 comment: