Friday, March 30, 2012

Calling all males

Some things I think men should participate in:

1. The reading of "Little Women."

2. The watching of "Gilmore Girls."

I'm serious. Despite their gender specific titles (um, hello, women watch "Mad Men," "Men in Black," etc.), I think these are more universal media than many are willing to realize. 

"Little Women" is a book about writing, independence, coming of age, and relationships (sibling, parent, friend, romantic). And feminism, which is not a female-only issue. 

"Gilmore Girls" is really funny, for starters. It's about coffee, education, pop culture, from time to time it involves Pop Tarts, and entrepreneurship. And it's about being in a family--both dysfunctional and loving--which, again, is not a gender specific element of life. 

So Gentlemen, hop to. And enjoy.*

*If you don't enjoy, then come talk to me, and we'll chat over beer. I won't necessarily try to convince you that you are wrong in your opinion, we'll just chat. But until you read or watch, I'm not sure I'm willing to hear your opinion about this matter. Bold statement, I know, but seriously. In this case, you can't make claims about these media you haven't consumed.

P.S. For those of you men who have read or watched these things, tell me what you think!

2 comments:

  1. I read Little Women as a child and have seen, at one point or another, every episode of Gilmore Girls. Little Women was a long time ago, so I can't really comment on it, but Gilmore Girls was awesome. What other TV show would rewrite the lyrics to A Mighty Fortress and have Dave's band play it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel Jarratt, how are you?!?! I may have been aware of it at one time, but I didn't know you were reading my blog! In fact, I've been rather neglectful of the Daily Bailey as of late, so it's nice to know anyone's reading it. :)

    One of the GG moments I was cracking up at in the last month or so was when Lorelai and Emily went to a spa together. Lorelai asks the guy at the front desk where she can get coffee and he says they don't serve caffeine. Lorelai says, "And you think that's safe?" Hahahah

    Hope you're doing well. Hi to Andrea!

    ReplyDelete