Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Goals -- if we can see them, then we can do them, friends

I feel perhaps the most type A I have ever felt in my life.

Except for when I fold my underwear. I seldom do so, and it always makes me feel weird when I do. So I usually don't.

I did not fold any undergarments today, but I did just spend an hour writing up individual goals for each month of 2016.

How did this process go?

Well,

I began by listing my overarching goals for the year.

I followed with things that I will do all year long to achieve these goals. (No fast food, work out three times a week, etc.)

I then wrote up, month by month, what specialized item I would like to focus on, one at a time.

And then! I added bullet points of steps I will take to achieve each month's goal.

I even designated some "ramp up" tasks for December of this year -- so I can start getting in the mindset of my goals for next year.

What is happening to me? I am supposed to be a slob, a go-with-the-flow creative type, a person Martha Stewart would never be seen in public with.

...

That said, it feels pretty good to have drafted up that list.

If I'm being honest.

I can't wait to copy it down on a motivational, vision board-y poster -- in pretty rainbow marker, of course. (I may be turning into a type A adult, but I'm still a small child inside who loves to color whenever she gets the chance.)

Some of the months are fun. In September I'll be finishing up cross stitch projects that are nearly complete.

In August, I'll revise my book. Editing doesn't sound like fun to you? Well, to this nerd it's like Candyland.

Some months are zero fun:

No beer in July.

Moment of silence, please.

Gynecologist visit in May. Blegh.

Other months are purely productive. In April, I'm getting my car squared away -- oil change, new license plates, etc.

Throughout the year I'm focusing on getting healthy and making hearty progress in my book. I'm also going to try and get -- and REMAIN! -- organized.

Might I encourage you to make your own list?

I found this activity of making a list (of lists...of more lists) to be...freeing? It made me feel confident, let's say that. In breaking things down into separate goals, rather than telling myself: "You will do 12 different things every day, all day, January through December," I feel like I can achieve these things, one at a time. Reasonably.

So if I drink beer in September, I don't have to beat up on myself for it so long as I'm working on a cross stitch project that month.

As always, I will do my best to give myself grace throughout the year. If I entirely flub one month, then so be it.

I'm just hoping that, with this current plan, one month's struggle won't have me giving up for the rest of the year. Instead I'll just wipe the slate clean and begin with the new goal on the first of the following month.

So what are your goals? Start with your main things: what's bothering you the most right now? Your weight? Clutter? Unfinished projects? Want to get in touch with an old friend? Save for a vacation? Write these things down, then pinpoint further to realistic goals and steps to tackle them.

Wow, I really sound like a motivational speaker right now. I'm scaring myself. But I'm on a roll here, so I'll keep going:

Maybe do a quarter system. Pick four goals and switch up your focus every three months.

Or don't listen to me at all. I can only speak for myself. All I know is this exercise made me feel good, and I'm hoping for you to feel good, also. Many blessings to you next year, and the next and the next!

-- The Daily Bailey

2 comments:

  1. Hello Bailey. So good to know you thorugh your profile on the blogger and the blog ost. I am a Pastor from Mumbai and love to get connected with the people of God around the world to be encouraged, strengthen and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 37yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. we also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you wiill have a life changing experience. My emai id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and f riends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bailey. So good to know you thorugh your profile on the blogger and the blog ost. I am a Pastor from Mumbai and love to get connected with the people of God around the world to be encouraged, strengthen and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 37yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. we also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you wiill have a life changing experience. My emai id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and f riends.

    ReplyDelete