Friday, February 2, 2018

Things that do and don't stir up my stress

 
Things that stress me out
 
Being out late -- in general, but particularly on a school night
 
Beads on clothing
 
Caption contests -- I feel like as a writer I should be good at this, but I don't think I am
 
Fighting/feisty disagreement/confrontation
 
Events that happen infrequently (like when I host my annual birthday celebration), in which I put too much pressure on myself to have the best time. Then I try to balance it by not having expectations, and the whole thing just becomes a messy back-and-forth battle of my own wills.
 
When people in an audience speak loud enough to overpower a performer/speaker
 
Contemplating how airplanes work, and flying
 
Riding the subway in Los Angeles
 
Grocery shopping. Ack. Hate it.
 
When someone wants to, like, legit ballroom/swing/salsa dance with me. I stick to freestyle, buddy, and my feet only move so fast.
 
Dogs' inability to sit still/not interact
 
Being on cruise ships
 
Related: the movie Titanic
 
Hiking
 
When my many different friends, all of whom I love dearly, don't mesh with each other (see: birthday parties)
 
The sheer amount of books in the world
 
Things in the universe (including the universe itself) that are really big or really small
 
Feeling like I have to watch a movie or play a game when I'd rather just mix and mingle. What? I really love to mix and mingle.
 
When someone I love is really upset and I can't help him or her feel better
 
Not having something in my car or bag to read
 
Being cold
 
Slow-moving lines
 
Things that don't stress me out
 
Dishes in the sink
 
Toilet paper not placed on the dispenser (as long as it's within reach of the commode, I'm good, people)
 
Getting up early
 
Going basically anywhere in public by myself -- restaurants, bars, movie theaters, etc.
 
When people leave a used K-cup in the machine
 
Dancing, singing, or speaking in public (OK speaking is sometimes stressful, but I still love it)
 
Chatting with strangers, up to and including if the discussion goes deep
 
Cats' attitudes/sudden decisions that they need space
 
In some regards: writing. While of course this vocation has its share of true stress, I feel like in general I enjoy writing way more than the average person, and I'm not always overwhelmed by a blank screen and a blinking cursor.
 
Society's expectation that people be fashionable when in the presence of others -- meh.
 
When friendships fizzle out simply because of distance and time. As someone who moved a bunch growing up, and as an extrovert who's bound to meet more people than I can keep up with anyway, I just see this as a part of life. Sure, I look back and think fondly of people in my past, but I don't worry that I did something wrong or, furthermore, whether I'll ever see them again. I believe that God has a way of circling people back into my life when I need them.
 
Standing room only concerts -- I actually prefer them
 
When people cry
 
Doing laundry (not being caught up on piles of laundry is another story)
 
Talking openly about intense emotions
 
Silence in between bits of conversation/Quiet people
 
Being an impromptu social director
 
Hot weather
 
Long lines (that move at a reasonable pace)
 
***
 
Your turn: what does (or doesn't) stress you out?

1 comment:

  1. stress:
    being late, I try to be 15 minutes early.
    When other people don't do what they say they'd do and I'm relying on it getting done.
    Bad drivers
    Bad dog owners
    Doesn't stress:
    Traffic (see lateness)I give myself plenty of time and it's a part of my job

    I agree with you on a lot of these

    ReplyDelete