Friday, October 7, 2011

Email from Nick: A reader

I'd like to provide you all with a smattering of some recent correspondence.

From Nick, who is a fantastic friend, which is an understatement.

Once upon a time we were pen pals, and by "we" I mean that Nick was an excellent pen pal, sending encouraging letters, with sarcastic P.S.'s, magazine clippings, original artwork, and I would write back on plain notebook paper, lamenting how much I hated my job and how depressed and lost I was.

Like I said: understatement.

Nick continues to provide me with weekly support. We miss each others' phone calls regularly, and when we do catch each other on the air waves he sometimes tells me, "Don't panic," before we say "love you" and hang up.

And then there are the emails.

Recently his emails have been pretty spot on with their sarcasm, or a perfect blend of sarcasm and support. We'll catalog those under "sarcastic support."

So, for your reading pleasure, I have compiled the following. Pop some popcorn and come on back for a little joviality:

From Sep. 27:

I sent Nick a little reminder that I am neurotic. He wrote back:

"so sleepy."

My response: "you're supposed to talk me out of my emotional pit." (I then said something nice about him getting some good sleep).

Nick: "i think i do enough talking you out of emotional pits. you need to find some calm pits for a change." (So sympathetic. It's heartwarming, really).

Me: "i'm eating pumpkin shaped, iced cookies. that's a pretty calm pit to be in.

and i have not yet cried this semester. you should be proud of me."

Nicholas, Sep. 28: "you should not cry in any semester. it shows weakness."

I believe I laughed out loud at this.

Sep. 29:

I asked Nick if we had discussed going to Punxsutawney, PA for next year's Groundhog Day (the latter is one of my favorite holidays, the former on my bucket list).

Nick: "i think that sounds like a terrible idea..."

Oct. 5:

I called Nick from a parking garage and left a message with the embarrassing confession that I was in my car and could not find my way out! of the garage.

Later--after I emerged--I got an email:

"in case you are still not out of the parking garage, here is some music to entertain you. (we are pretending you have a smart phone...)"

Nice to know that my bestie will send me a YouTube video before he'll call the cops. Noted. To be fair I didn't give him the name or latitudinal points of the garage so he couldn't have accurately reported my whereabouts to the authorities. Also, knowing me, he probably had the accurate hunch that eventually I would have rolled down my window to explain to a pedestrian that I was stuck in the effing garage and ask, "Could you please tell me how to get out of here?".

See this post from the archives for why he would suspect such behavior. ("Hi my name is Bailey and I'm not shy.")

No comments:

Post a Comment