Friday, April 17, 2009

Gum 101

After a brief vacay from my job, I have forgotten how sticky it is to be a barista. After one hour of work today, I thought, "I need a bath!" There is milk and sugary syrup and luke warm sanitizer water everywhere.... My brother Kelly could probably never do my job because he hates to be sticky. I personally love a good mess, and played many a game of mud football in college, but it's a little strange to have it be a standard part of your occupation.

Around 3:30 every day, we get an "after school rush" of middle school age kids, all ordering Frappuccinos. Today I was stationed at the blenders, receiving cup after cup, and Katie said, "Bailey, I promise you there really are this many Strawberries and Cream Frappuccinos to make, this is not a drill." I laughed when she said that. And then I spilled said S&C Frappuccino all over the counter. Taylor said "good Lord" at one point, commenting on all the chaos, and that made me laugh too.


This particular group of kids who came in today all flock around this boy, Riley, who I'm pretty sure they all have a crush on. Today Riley had gum in his hair. The girls, Riley's assistants, requested a pair of scissors and a cup of ice to remove the gum, and I looked over to see four girls crowded in the men's bathroom with Riley. It always throws me off when they come in, screaming "Riley! Riley!" because that is my brother's name too, a name I don't hear often outside of my own home, like Bailey.


Anyway, apparently the stickiness is not over for me yet today. My neighbors just invited me over for a pancake dinner tonight. Suppose I'll pass on the bath, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment