Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Time for Love

My friend Samantha told me once that she could see me with an older man. I asked her why and she said that while some of her friends have a lot of strength because of their education, or their race, she told me "I don't know where your strength comes from." She said that men our age couldn't understand me. "They're just boys," she said.

I just watched the movie "Suburban Girl," based on the book "The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing" by Melissa Bank, a book I loved. It's about a young woman with an older man. Last night Brad and I were talking about who we were just a few years ago and who we are now, how our opinions have changed, how the churches we attend now we probably couldn't have attended before. In "Suburban Girl," the young woman ultimately leaves her boyfriend, because she tells him that she sees a teacher when she looks at him and that he sees a student. She says that in order to grow up, she has to leave him. All this has me thinking about how much and yet in some ways how little we all change over time. The girl in the movie was able to love a man in a very different life stage as her, yet she also recognized that there would be a difference in her life if she married him or explored the years ahead of her with someone else. She knew she would change as she aged no matter what, and that who was standing beside her in the future would affect that.

My friends make fun of me all the time for being a Celine Dion fan, and when they're not making fun of that they're making fun of the fact that her husband is 26 years older than her. I always get defensive and tell them what I truly believe and that is that "love is love."

That's all. My mind is not exactly organized today, so today I give you the gift of ramblings. I blame the rain, delicious springtime rain. Yay for a day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment