Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Luddite's Struggle

First my internet crashed.

All of the other computers in the house received their internet connection just fine. Riley unplugged and replugged the router just for good measure, and even though my PC is the closest to the router, my wireless connection has yet to revive itself.

So I borrowed Riley's laptop to check my email.

Problem 2. "username or password incorrect." On the contrary, this statement was definitely incorrect. I retyped my password multiple times, double checked that the Caps Lock was not on, to no avail.

All week the email has been occasionally responsive, but not always.

Then I started housesitting. Different computer, different connection speed, different everything. Also commuting between different homes when I realize I've forgotten my outfit for work, my debit card, etc. So a little stressed out, busy, and spending more time on the road than usual and settling in unfamiliar territory, both in physical and cyber surroundings. Maybe not a true excuse to all, but to me, definitely a valid excuse.

And then, the final straw. I believe it was Saturday night that my email account decided to load in something that was not Chinese or Japanese but looked a lot like both.

So you see. Technology is not usually on my side, because I so vehemently oppose it and it likes to seek its revenge on me. But this week has been an exception. I have been inviting its presence into my life, and technology has shoved me away with a rude, strong, virtual thrust. And I just have to say I am offended. I mean, all I ever did was refuse the ownership rights to a cell phone. And a GPS, and an mp3 player...

So normally I would have faithfully provided you with daily posts. But between the router, my email account, my schedule, and technology as a whole (yeah, I said it), such has just not been possible as of late.

My sincere apologies. I hope that you will accept this post as a token of my devotion, present and future, in cyber-sickness and functioning-router health. 'Til technological difficulties once again do us part (as they always will, because technology is flawed...).

No comments:

Post a Comment