Sunday, July 8, 2012

Tennis and Tweedle Dee

This weekend is one for the history books.

Or, for my journal. Which is a book, that keeps records of history. So ya know.

Yesterday I had a tennis lesson (I have wanted to play tennis for years), followed by beer and snacks by the pool, followed by dinner out with a delicious tuna melt and another beer. All in the company of a fabulous couple who I am getting to know. So laidback and delightful. Really, really enjoy their company.

Today after church (where I sat with another dear couple) I went to my friend Sue's house where we sat out back with her mother and ate grilled cheese sandwiches with avocado and tomato. On the sandwiches, not on the side. Sue doesn't mess around.

Joining Sue and myself and Sue's mom were Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. Cats? Nope. Yorkies? Nope.

Tortoises.

Yessssss. They are so precious. They just lumber around like, well, slow pets. And it's still so interesting and surprising to me that they respond to your voice. They slowly turn their heads toward you as if to say, "Yes?" Sue would put her finger by their eyes and move it in the direction she wanted them to go. And they would follow. They would eat grass and hay and they almost looked excited as they came upon it. "Ooh! Hay!"

They were quite excited about my shoes, which are some pretty out of control purple sandals, as well as my red-painted toenails, which they apparently thought were strawberries or cherries.

I was there long enough that I ended up staying for dinner, complete with ice cream.

Great weekend. I am blessed. Great friends, who take care of me, and a God who puts them in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment