Sunday, March 3, 2013

'Nother brick in the wall

During my senior year of high school I took a sociology class.

One of our units during this class was an urban legend unit.

As part of this unit, we watched The Wizard of Oz on mute, while Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" played in the background.

We did this because of the urban legend that the music matches up with the plot and motion of the film, and because of the mystery of whether or not this was done on purpose.

This morning as I was driving to church and listening to "Dark Side of the Moon," I thought,

"How did that qualify as education?"

Maybe it was written up as Kansas history, since we were a school in Kansas?

I'm not sure I would be brave enough to tell my supervisor that I was incorporating such study methods into my lesson plan.

Either way, I'm glad we "studied" the phenomenon, because it's pretty fun to watch the Wiz of Oz with the P. Floyd album playing, and I love that album now.

And I cannot listen to "Money" without picturing the Munchkins rocking out on the Yellow Brick Road right around the 3:05 mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment