Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The night I watched the cat watch TV

Max watched TV last night.

No really.

And he blocked my view.

Jerk. Cute, cute jerk.

I couldn't sleep last night -- which is nothing new as of late or in my life as a whole, but otherwise is a rather recent development -- and so I decided to turn on some delicious Felicity to ease the pain and hopefully ease me into sleepiness.

Plus I was just lying there thinking about all the things I have to do in the next week (it's like three weeks worth of stuff), so I wasn't getting anywhere.

So I pulled out my laptop, went to my Amazon account, and pressed play.

And thennnnnn, the cat decided to march himself across the keys.

He positioned himself comfortably, paws tucked under his soft, white breast, to the left of the keyboard.

And then he proceeded to watch some TV.

How.

Cute.

Is.

That?????????

!!!!!

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

So anyway, the two of us watched Ben and Felicity's drama unfold before us, in the glory that is historic-haircut season two, and we were having a nice time.

And thennnnnnn, the cat decided to -- for whatever feline reason -- move himself a little more onto the keys.

This time, he managed to mute the show, and block my view.

And he totally moved his head to watch the shadows and flickers of light, occasionally pawing at the screen when he saw movement.

I can't get over how adorable this was.

So suddenly we found ourselves in this situation:

The cat was watching TV, and I was watching the cat.

The latter is routine, the former, novel.

So wonderfully novel.

I examined the edge of his silhouette, lit by the computer screen. When I touch him he feels smooth, like silk, but in this light he looked almost prickly, with tufts of fur separated and jutting out to different lengths.

And those glossy eyes, like marbles, so sweetly moving around, slowly examining the lives of University of New York students, painted in near-sepia tones, speaking in always hushed voices.

"Hey," Felicity says to Ben. Oh how many times does she repeat that line? And why is that show just like a drug to me? I LOVE IT.

At one point Javier had his hand up in the air, and I was hoping, hoping that the cat would paw at him and give him a high five.

Eventually I got sleepy, and I moved aside, leaving Max in peace to watch the show. I dozed, then finally came to and realized he had moved on. I closed the PC, then snuggled in with my WB drama loving cat, the two of us drifting off to slumberville. When I woke up this morning, he was nestled near my torso.

What can I say but that I recommend watching TV with your animal. It's, like, the best.

2 comments:

  1. Great description: "I examined the edge of his silhouette, lit by the computer screen. When I touch him he feels smooth, like silk, but in this light he looked almost prickly, with tufts of fur separated and jutting out to different lengths."

    ReplyDelete