Friday, May 21, 2010

I Sing Because I'm FREE

Every day my parents and I have the same conversation.

"Bailey, you should really eat some protein. Would you like some chicken? Are you sure? How 'bout some more broccoli? No? You sure? Okay, then..."

Today I set a record for how much I consumed in a 24-hour period. This is not going to sound very impressive to you, but the fact that I was consistently grabbing at things to eat, one after the other, is a big deal. Trust me. Here's the list:

coffee (duh)
cookies
Junior Mints
spaghetti special (Dad's own recipe)
bread with jelly (not jam and bread, sorry Maria)
Coke
avocado

Later:

milk
banana
chips
Pepsi
water
espresso shot mixed with whip cream (jealous)
sub sandwich
more avocado
half of a frozen banana, mixed with mocha syrup and whip cream (Matt's recipe)
half of an Izze soda
water
water
vanilla scone
cookies
water

Like I said, not that impressive. When I was 14, I could eat three times that much in one day. The thing is, I find eating to be a tremendous hassle. I enjoy food, there are certain things I love to eat (tomato bisque soup, raw tomato with salt, scones, chocolate, lima beans), and when I have people with me, I can sit around a table munching for hours. But the fact that every few hours our bodies stop to grumble, we become agitated, all for the fact that we have to eat?!

Again?!

Drives.
Me.
Crazy!!!

Mom told me a couple of months ago that it annoys her to have to bathe once a day. I told her I would love to shower four times a day, if I could eat once a day and be set for the next 24 hours. There are so many other things you can skip throughout a day, push off for later. I guess it is God's way of telling us to slow down, His way of stopping us in our tracks before we do something stupid; He distracts us with a cookie or a fussy baby who wants some Cheerios so we only watch two episodes of America's Next Top Model, not eight. Whatever. Fine, I guess I'll keep eating.*

*I realize I am extremely blessed to have food in my life every day, and that I never have to worry about that blessing being taken away tomorrow. His eye is on the sparrow (Matthew 6:25-27/Luke 12:6-7).

No comments:

Post a Comment