Friday, October 1, 2010

"10 issues for just $10!"

I want a magazine subscription.

I am taking a course called "The Magazine: Then and Now" and, ironically, I don't subscribe to even one magazine. I am even on the magazine track for my degree.

So I say, don't I deserve to receive a glossy issue in my mailbox once a month?

Well there's the issue of funds, first. They are slim. This doesn't stop me from buying a used X&Y album on Amazon for 19 cents, no. But I would still feel guilty coughing up 18 bucks or so.

Second, time. Where is that? Again, the "lack" of time didn't stop me from watching America's Next Top Model this afternoon, and I am certainly not doing homework at the moment. (Hey, it's Friday.)

But still. I'm not sure that inviting Real Simple into my home is the best idea. Pretty tempting, consuming distraction. And then there's the other side, the side that will potentially leave me with a stack of 12 magazines a year from now, none of which I've had or taken the time to look at.

And third. Imagining I simply ignore these time and money constraints--

which I do. Oh, how I do.

--there is still the question of which magazine??

I think we can argue The Economist is out. Way too much material, and I am pretty seeped in news as it is. I think we need to stick to a monthly, rather than weekly, publication, preferably with pretty pictures.

Psychology Today, Oprah, and Real Simple are usually at the top of my list when I come back to this daydream. At this point I would even go for a subscription of Seventeen, probably because I just want an escape from all that which is scholarly.

I think this calls for a poll. Perhaps two. Should I get a magazine subscription? And, to which publication?

All right, friends, refer to the right side of the page and get to voting! This will be practice for November's elections! Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Bailey. There are soooo many more magazines than the ones you listed. I'd peruse the magazine section at Barnes and Noble a little harder. If you want to get the most bang for your buck, get a weekly.

    But I do love Real Simple. Particularly from a design standpoint :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mary,

    my professor of "mag then and now" used to work for real simple.

    ReplyDelete