Sunday, June 21, 2009

Kissing the Glass

There is a little boy who has come into the Starbucks store I work at three times now.

Time #1: Little boy enters with his dad and older brother. Dad sets up shop with his laptop, the older boy works on his homework. Little boy has stood himself up on a chair near the espresso bar and is having himself a little look-see at the counter. Brad told me later, "I looked over and this kid is hovering over the iced tea. For all I know he could have hocked a loogie in there." At one point the man and the little boy are outside, and basically the picture before me is the kid running around while the dad looks on. Honestly, it immediately reminded me of someone taking their dog outside, to get all that hyper energy out. The studious older boy remains inside, and he politely informs me and Brad, "That's my little brother outside. He's 5. He's licking the glass." Look over and sure enough, he is licking our window, looking inside at us.

Time #2: Male trio enters again. Little boy runs to our open-air, refrigerated case of bottled drinks in excitement, declaring "Daddy, I want this!" Upon reaching the case his little body completely lands inside the case, toppling bottles. Turns out he thought there was a glass cover and he was just planning on pointing to his drink, not actually dogpiling himself on top of it. His dad says, "Buddy, there's not glass there," and Brad comes laughing hysterically to me in the back room.

Time #3: Tonight. Male trio enters yet again. Little boy is thrown over his dad's shoulder, a little Fathers' Day fun. Dad puts the boy down on the ground, and he heads to the refrigerated case (at a slower pace this time). Katie and I exchange glances at the older boy's selection of a caffeinated frappuccino at 9:30 at night. A few minutes pass and then I notice the little boy's shirt. It is a KISS shirt. Awesome. Just when I thought this family couldn't get any crazier, they went ahead and proved me wrong. Thank you, boys, for the free entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment