Sunday, June 14, 2009

Miss Bailey & the Books Half Read

Okay so I've decided that I've lost my energy for telling the water mane break story. So unless there are major protests, I'm going to post about something else. After all, I am in charge of this blog. (That sounded a little snotty, didn't it? Hmm.)

So is anyone else having a horrible time finding a book that they want to read? The last time I finished a book was early May. I think perhaps I have read so much that I have lost my excitement about any particular book, and I also haven't made a lot of time for reading so it is no longer a habit. This saddens me greatly, and also annoys the crap out of me. I keep picking up a book, read a few chapters, put it down, try another, same thing. Even the library doesn't get me excited, and Brad and I spent a whole hour in a bookstore on Friday and both of us left empty handed. Ridiculous.

Last night I started reading the novel How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, and I've made it past page 50 so that's a good sign. I think I'm going to force myself to finish it. It's not even that I don't like these books I'm reading, I just can't seem to finish them. None of them suck me into their vortex of awesome reading pleasure. The Awesome Reading Pleasure Meter has been extremely low lately.

Riley and I went to this big used book sale last week, and I did find one of the greatest children's books ever, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh!!! So perhaps when I finish Garcia I will make that my next read. Mmm, what a great book! Mice, rats, cats, so descriptive, so adventurous, so entertaining. Loved it and still love it! Can I hear it for Miss Frisb? Holla!

Good luck to all of you in your book searches.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh. I am having the same difficultly. I have three half finished books next to my bed, and I can't get myself to finish any of them (even though they are all good - though perhaps not great - books). It's greatly upsetting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, nick, for that insightful comment. deanna, i am glad you are sharing my pain.

    ReplyDelete