Monday, June 8, 2009

Quoth the Bailey

I took a class in college on Poe and Baudelaire.

I turned in my first paper and got a B.

The second paper assignment was a comparison of Poe and Baudelaire. Around midnight, my roommate was going to sleep and I was jealous of her slumber. Since Baudelaire was a poet, I said, "Claire? I think I'm going to write a poem instead of an essay." She said, "Go for it," which is one of the hundred reasons why I love her.

I turned the poem in (titled "A Poe-m") the next day face down so that the professor wouldn't hand it right back to me. I expected that he might ask me to rewrite it, but I really wanted to take a nap at that very moment, and I wanted a good 24 hours of freedom before the editing would have to begin.

I never had to rewrite it. I got an A. Following professors' instructions? Nevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment