Monday, March 29, 2010

Personal Assistant Needed

Is it entirely necessary that seemingly all of my responsibilities fall into one week? This week I have:

professional duties (work)
economic duties (taxes)
academic duties (study for test/pick a grad school)
familial duties (umm...talk to family)
physical duties (nothing dirty, you dirty minds, what I mean is training for a race in two weeks)
journalistic duties (edit a story for a friend; help a journalist with a project)
cat duties (pet the monster)

etc. etc.

It is Monday and I am already behind. I have to get a prescription refilled this week, and I got a lecture when I called the doc's office about how a)I should have already had an appointment made and should have known about this policy and b)how I didn't bring them my insurance card last time and I need to bring it this time. When I got home from class today, Dad helped me replace the air filter in my car, and in the process we discovered a nail in my front tire. Note: we are not stupid, we understand that the air filter is not located in or near the tire, we just meandered on down to the tire portion of the car in our (and when I say "we" and "our" here, I mean "Dad" and "his") perusal of general car maintenance. I was so distracted already this morning during my early shift at work that I forgot to ask off for next weekend for the race I'm running, and by the time I called my boss in the afternoon she had already made the schedule for next week (deep breath any race team members reading this, it is getting worked out, I will be present at the race).

Point being, in a matter of 24 hours, I have tacked on a doctor's appointment, a trip to the tire doctor, and a lot of general running around to fix my work schedule, to my already busy, stressful, overloaded week.

When I have this much going on I become more scatterbrained than usual and thus end up backpedaling a lot, and as a result seem to accomplish even less than was originally planned. Today in class we had discussion over a book I spent all last week reading and a paper about said book that I wrote yesterday, and when we gathered round in a circle to chat about "Islam and Modernity in the Middle East," I felt like my reading and writing had been a waste of time. Because when my professor asked us to dissect the author's thesis, I thought, "Crap, what was Homestar's thesis?" Perhaps that was a trifle due to the rambling, scholastically saturated text of the book; I'll go easy on myself and say that's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment