Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Fall Fantasies

There are times that you should not let yourself dwell on a concept, idea, fantasy, what have you, if you cannot have it, either at that particular time, or ever in your lifetime. There are other times, however, that I sincerely believe it is okay to meditate on such thoughts. I think that sometimes it is healthy to just wrap yourself up in a good thought and just feel it. I think it helps you move past a desire, cope with a loss or lack of something or someone in your life, and sometimes it is harmless and just contributes to your happiness. Think of all the silly crushes you've had in your life, most of which were entirely painless to get over, yet the hours you spent daydreaming about them were inarguably and downright enjoyable. Admit it. They were.

I like to think that my friends Al(bert Einstein) and Theo (Dr. Seuss) each agree with me on some level:

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand." --AE

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --DS

Well the last few days I have been thinking about autumn, and how I would be okay if the season of summer suddenly decided to take a little vacay for a while. And I have been ignoring the humidity, denying the heat, and wrapping myself up in the warm blanket of my imagination, swooning with excitement for the months to come. Please join me in reveling in the following not-so-guilty list (and, photo credits for today's clip art to my girl Carolyn--those leaves are Japanese...).

Things I love about the Fall:
--pumpkin scones at Starbucks
--hot beverages in general
--brightly colored leaves above head
--crunchy brown leaves below feet
--the smell of the air
--going to the corn maze with Corie and Nick
--never actually carving pumpkins past the age of 12, but talking about your intentions to do so with friends every year for the rest of your twenties
--raking leaves
--the feel of the breeze
--switching from t-shirts to sweaters and adding scarves to your wardrobe
--thinking about boys in the fall
--walking around the Plaza with coffee in hand
--daydreaming
--getting reacquainted with (and by "reacquainted" I mean staring at and making up your own opinions about) your fellow strangers at the gym, as it becomes too dark in the evenings to exercise outside and everyone recongregates indoors
--going back to school
--the light around 4pm, juicy goldenrod
--the heat around 4pm, not too hot, just right
--and finally, the fact that you are months away from watching Christmas movies--the good, the bad, and the awful

No comments:

Post a Comment