Thursday, September 16, 2010

This is why we take the GRE

True story: I just asked someone in the student union to watch my stuff so I could go pick a wedgie in the bathroom.

Note: I only asked him to watch my stuff, I didn't indicate the detail of my actions while I would be away.

I have been driving literally all over town today, followed by walking downtown and through campus. My backpack has been increasing stress on my shoulders, my sinus headache has worsened throughout the day, blah blah, wah wah, point being! I was not about to settle in here to write my literature review with a wedgie. Not happening.

It's amazing how a thin piece of cotton can cause so much mental disruption.

Other shining moments of the day:

After washing my hands in the bathroom, I moved them toward the hand dryer and they decided, on a complete will of their own, to stop at the soap dispenser...requiring me to wash my hands again.

At lunch today, I asked my server if I could order just a half sandwich, because I eat like a bird and can only down so many calories in one sitting. I was informed I could not order a half sandwich, so I got a whole BLT. I took the other half to the newsroom when I was done eating, offering up a mysterious block wrapped in foil to hungry journalists.

It gets better. Of course it does; my awkwardness knows few, if any, bounds.

I stopped someone short on his way to the microwave with a single serving of Chef Boyardee.

"Jake, are you going to eat that?"

Duh, of course he is.

Enthusiastically: "I am!"

I then offered him the sandwich and he was quite excited and grateful, not put off.

There was also an issue outside of Starbucks during a late morning coffee session with Kyle, in which I could not get my button down shirt to cooperate with the sweater I had put on over it. First there was a popped collar issue, followed by general shirt bunching. Kyle just laughed during all of this, offering only small amounts of verbal assistance.

Try and swallow this with me: this is just one day in the life of a harried, stressed out grad student. Imagine what kind of havoc I might wreak in two full years.

Love,
Daily ;)

3 comments:

  1. Did you use soap the first time you washed your hands?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you started on your lit review before the weekend. I'm still churning mine out. Blech.

    ReplyDelete