Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Three, girl it's plain to see, that you're short on electricity

Today I led a discussion for Mass Media Seminar with my classmate Amy.

As part of our presentation, I incorporated a clip from America's Next Top Model (Cycle 9, episode 6). Because, you know, I wanted to.

(It was also relevant.)

This isn't the first time I've done something like this--I'm sure you're surprised.

In seventh grade we were studying Asia in Geography class, as, naturally, we would--working our way through the continents until ta dah! School year is over!

Well when we got to Asia I suggested to our teacher, "Since we're studying Asia, could we go to a Chinese restaurant?"

As if American seventh graders had never been to a Chinese restaurant before.

She coordinated it. We took a bus to a restaurant less than five minutes away, the restaurant took our orders ahead of time; they may have even opened early for us.

My senior year of high school my friend N8 (Nate) and I both approached our sociology teacher after class one day following a discussion--or the start of one, at least--about something to do with guns or gun control. We told him about a movie that had just come out, "Bowling for Columbine," that was all about guns and gun control.

And yet another field trip was coordinated for all the sociology classes to the movie theater.

In southern Africa I really let my educational opportunities stretch to their limits.

First of all, as often as possible, we (and by "we" I mean my friend Liz and I) would try and turn any assignment into a musical.

What's that? Create a presentation about ongoing struggles in Namibia?
Oh, certainly you must have meant to rewrite the lyrics for "Back at One" in order to express the inconsistencies of electrical services in the nation.*

Oh that's not what you meant? Um...too late...

Discuss past marital laws of Namibia, regarding interracial relationships?
Okay, we'll jump into the pool and perform a mock "wedding" to illustrate that for you.

No wonder I was called a troublemaker yesterday. Daily Bailey, disrupting formal education patterns since (at least) 1998.

*There was ultimately an encore performance, I will point out. Our driver, Passat, who loved "Back at One" and would play it often, much to our thrill, in the kombi, was not initially present in the room for the original vocal recital. He was sought out and we started back at one (I crack myself up) for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment