Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Elliot Sherman

I watched a movie last night (The Baxter) that I found to be very entertaining and very funny. It's hard to describe just exactly why.

I guess because it was a touch campy, but not so much that I was purely watching it to poke fun at it. And while it could have annoyed me by being a little bit too indie (and I will admit, at times it was difficult to watch the main character; but then again, the actor was doing a pretty great job of playing who that character was supposed to be), it didn't quite get there. Here's why, in my opinion:

It didn't overdo the awkward moments--but rather, presented them in a manner that was just right--and it also had that anachronistic feeling of Napoleon Dynamite. There was a reference to and use of Palm Pilots, and the year 2002 was dropped in some conversations, but otherwise for the most part it could have been in the '50s, '90s; all of the above, really. In that sense, you could say, a little something for all (okay, most: rated PG-13) ages.

And there were several moments where I just thought it was very humorous. Again, hard to describe. You might just have to experience it for yourself and then report back here at the DB.

Give it a watch if you care to:

No comments:

Post a Comment