Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Your blunder began somewhere near the closet

I was in the newsroom yesterday and my friend Emily said, "You know who you remind me of right now?"

I struck a little pose, I believe, and waited for her to compare me to some Hollywood cutie.

"You know 'The Cat in the Hat?'" she asked.

Okay...this is not going the way I expected but let's see where it goes...

"Oh. The girl?" I asked, thinking this might be a cute little compliment, comparing me to the little cartoon blondie.

"No. You know Thing 1 and Thing 2?"

"Yeah..."

"You look like a 'Thing.'"

Nicholas, before you jump in here, let me tell you that I was wearing a navy, cotton skirt (oh wait, you've seen it; the one with the nautical belt you made fun of) and a red T-shirt. And I had already taken my hair out of braided pigtails by this point in the day and had removed my heart-shaped sunglasses.

And let me just inform the rest of you that Nick and I have a best-friend pastime of Nick mocking my fashion choices. It's fun for both of us; it's not like he sends me away in tears (although sometimes he does veto my choices, such as the dress I had planned on wearing to my brother's wedding). And, in his defense, here's just a sampling of some of my outfits he's captured on film:

From 2011, we have polka dots and stripes:


And from 2008, we have what I believe is our personal favorite
(this one comes up quite often in conversations as the yardstick for other outfit choices;
kind of a "just how bad is it" meter):

Well Emily did tell me she wasn't dissing me with her "Thing" comparison (and Em, I didn't think you were). I didn't feel particularly insulted, in fact I found it to be funny. Just wasn't, uh, what I was expecting her to say. I was hoping for her to say Drew Barrymore, Renee Zellweger. Even little Sally from the Seuss classic.

You know, someone who's at least blonde. Not so...blue-haired.

No comments:

Post a Comment