Monday, July 11, 2011

Luckily Diblets likes to sync his bedtime with mine

I asked some of my colleagues tonight if they're up for hours after they get home after their shifts at the paper.

I basically got a resounding "Yes" in response.

Me too, kids. I'm so wired after staring at a screen, reading reading reading the news, looking closely at details, then stepping back and looking at the big picture to create a headline. Then back to the details, with a brand new story, new topic.

Your mind is full of information by the time you're done, so you're well informed, but how one could get into bed right as they get home (if there's even one out there who can) is beyond me. I mean, I require time to wind down in general, but add in a brain full of thoughts about flood levees, Murdoch's issues, Dear Abby, and you can bet this girl's gonna be tapping her fingers until (ahem) sometimes the crack of dawn.

I'm considering looking at copy editing jobs for post-graduation (but keeping my dream of being a writer! I'm just thinking copy editing work might be more consistent than freelance work, at least while one is trying to carve herself a respectable place in the freelance world), but if I get offered a schedule heavy with night shifts, let's just say I might grimace.*

Inwardly, probably, if in a face-to-face interview.

*This is not to say I wouldn't take the job nor enjoy it, I just wouldn't jump for joy at the idea of 4 a.m. as a bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment