Friday, May 20, 2011

Bailey, what are you doing this summer? Copy editing, and...

So I'm a pretty big ball of nerves right now concerning my summer ahead.

It's a combo of feeling like I'm not getting enough of a break from school, considering I'll be, you know, taking a class, and feeling alternately that on my days off I'll have too much time to let my mind wander (basically my number one summer fear. Otherwise I mostly welcome the sunshine and its vitamin D).

So I just got back from watching a so-bad-it's-good movie (The Retrievers, with Betty White as Mrs. Krisper! I'm just glad none of the film's several dogs were named Bailey) with Mike and Nate and was lying in bed with Mom telling her about my anxiety--a common pastime.

She asked me if there was anything in my summer I'm looking forward to.

I told her that I think my copy desk schedule will be thinning out in August, offering me some relief and freedom to travel home or perhaps elsewhere.

I think this was the first thing I told her. It might have been the second, but I think it was the first because I think I was stalling from what I probably actually wanted to blurt out as my honest first reaction to what I'm looking forward to this summer.

Ice cream cones? Nah. Swimming? Yes, although I'm not sure I'm gonna have the awesome instant access to a pool as I had last summer (thanks, Mike).

What I told Mom I'm looking forward to?

Birdwatching. I check the local Audubon Society's website quite often for field trips, and I want to make my attendance at them a reality this summer.

Yes. This is how I plan to attempt to maintain my sanity this summer. With nature. With (hopefully) older companions--adorable I imagine, ideally chatting with me over coffee, post birding. And with the birdies themselves, who I am--in large part thanks to Mr. Obmascik's book--starting to notice everywhere now. On fence posts along stretches of highway in Illinois and Missouri, under bridges, in a neighbor's yard. Winged creatures who travel thousands of miles each year. Fascinating, awesome creations.

By the way, this documentary is incredible:

1 comment: