Saturday, July 9, 2016

For what it's worth

Hi, Y'all.

I've been keeping quiet regarding this tumultuous week in our nation, for a number of reasons. Number One probably being that I'm not sure a white girl's opinion is what America needs right now. Not to discredit the opinion of any white girl out there, especially if her opinion is one of love and peace (which, for the record, is the opinion of most people in our nation right now, if I had to guess. Call me an optimist, I'm standing by this stance.).

My point being, I feel like I want to give my African American brothers and sisters, and our law enforcement officials, and all their loved ones, some room to grieve. I want desperately to be there in support, but I don't know that I need to wag my blog in their face as a way of being supportive.

I have been asked to help write the prayers at my church this summer, however. So I feel like that's something I can do right now. Go to church. Pray. And in the meantime I can choose not to act in violence, and to be kind to all those around me, in all our colorful beauty. I can be decent. I can be kind. That I can do.

This week at our church we are focusing on justice, and throughout the summer we are reading the Psalms. This week's prayers are keeping that in mind.

This is, simply, an invitation to join us in prayer. Red and yellow, black and white, Christian Muslim, Jewish atheist. Wherever you fall, if you'd like, join us in prayer. Call them good thoughts if that makes you more comfortable. Again, this is simply an invitation. To participate if you'd like.

Much love to you all.

For the families and friends of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile. That you would be with them, Father God, in their time of unspeakable grief, pain, and anger. May their heads turn toward You, the God who can turn their churning to stillness, their helplessness to hope.

For our entire grieving nation. May we be reminded that you are a God not of disorder or confusion but of peace. You left your peace with us. May we know deep in our hearts that the well never runs dry.

For the loved ones of the officers who lost their lives in Dallas. Brent Thompson, Patrick Zamarripa, Michael Krol, Lorne Ahrens, and Michael Smith. That we would see uniforms not as a threat but as a person wanting to protect all – black, yellow, red, brown, white.

For all who sit here now. Mold us into brothers and sisters who love. Who hug, who listen, who pause before we speak. Let our confusions and pains not cause us to argue more, but to reach out and embrace each other. Teach us to feed each other with love. To wipe an anguished brow and whisper peace upon it.

For the use of our hands. May we choose not to brandish weapons that kill, but instead put your Words upon our lips, so that we may use our mouths and hearts and hands for peace. May we be moved to hammer our swords into plowshares, to till the earth and not the fury inside us.

That we would understand YOUR desire for justice, God. May we never take our eyes off of You, as we exit the doors of this sanctuary and enter back into our frightening world. May we be humbled in your sight, waiting for your guidance. Knowing when to speak and when to remain silent. May we know which actions are helpful, and take each step in peace.

Please walk with us, Lord,
Amen and Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment