Thursday, July 14, 2016

Real talk about high school -- a snapshot of my life as a senior

Saw this on Facebook, thought I'd fill it out and share it on the blog. Why not? 

Looking back....

When I was a senior in high school:

The year was: 2002 - 2003

1. Did you know your spouse? 

Assuming I marry Alex, then no. I did not know him yet. 

2. Did you carpool to school? 

Yes. My younger brother was a smarty pants who was in the 8th grade but attended the high school for his first morning class period to take geometry, I think. So I drove him in the mornings, and then in the afternoon I drove home alone. 

3. What kind of car did you drive? 

First semester, a silver Camry. Second semester, a silver Previa. :) It was the only year of high school that I drove to school. Previous years I took the bus or had my brother drive me.
 
4. What kind of car do you have now? 

Silver Corolla. Brewers are silver Toyota drivers for eva!

5. It's Friday night...where were you? 

Ugh. Doing calculus homework, honestly. Occasionally I forced myself to go to football games...alone. Wow, this little quiz took a depressing turn, didn't it? 

6. What kind of job did you have in high school? 

Didn't have a single job until after I graduated. The only thing I got paid for was occasional babysitting. 

7. What kind of job do you have now? 

My day job is an Admin. Coordinator in the mental health field. 
My vocational job is writing/journalism. 

8. Were you a party animal? 

Ha.

9. Were you a cheerleader? 

Nope. But if I were in high school now, I would totally consider it.

10. Were you considered a jock? 

Nope. 

11. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? 

Band. I participated in good old concert band, pit orchestra, and pep band. Really enjoyed it. 

12. Were you a nerd? 

I don't know that anyone would have called me that, but I definitely enjoyed academics. I moved several times growing up, and while I made friends fairly easily, it was my schoolwork that kind of held me together. I faired well in all subjects, and I found solace and identity in reading, computing, and...you guessed it, writing. 

13. Did you get suspended or expelled? 

Nope. I did get called to the principal's office, however, just before the end of the school year. I thought, "What the...?" and then when I got in there he told me I was going to be honored at graduation for my grades. (See #12).

14. Can you sing the fight song? 

Definitely not. But I do know that at one point you sing "Raise our banners to the fore" and wave your hand in the air, like you're holding a flag. 

15. Who was/were your favorite high school teacher(s)? 

Mr. Ringer!!! (Though he wasn't my teacher as a senior). 
 
As a senior, I really enjoyed Mrs. Gagnebin, Mrs. Forbes, and Mr. Sanderson. I could really feel that they appreciated my earnestness as a student, and they brought levity to my life.
 
Also, their names escape me, but my guitar teacher, gym teacher, and sewing teacher made me feel at ease. 

Teachers = Great. 

16. Where did you sit for lunch? 

At a table with several sophomores. I didn't have a lot of friends. On the first day of school, I sat with the one person I really knew (and I didn't know her well) who was in my lunch period. I will always be grateful to her for letting me sit with her. Both that year and then later in life, she cut my hair and gave me some updo's. This one, that she did for Corie's wedding, is to this day my favorite fancy hairstyle I've ever had: 

17. What was your school's name? 

Shawnee Mission Northwest

18. What was your school mascot? 

Cougar

19. If you could go back and do it again, would you?

I mean, this is really heavy question for an overthinker like me. I wouldn't, because that would be going against how God set up my life, and time isn't supposed to go backward. 

However, I often fantasize about going back to high school and just RUNNING that place. 

Oh my goodness, I would be so much more confident. Actually, I was confident then, I just felt like I had to keep my self esteem shrouded. 

I would do sports, I would run for student council, I would sing in choir. I would be so babbly and friendly. I would volunteer and organize car washes and yes. Just yes. It would be great. 

But the point is I love my life now. So I'm good. I've been taken care of every step of the way, even when things have been hard. 

20. Did you have fun at Prom? 

Sort of. I had the best prom date, though. He was my biggest crush in all my high school years, and was sooo cute. He went to the dance with me after another guy turned me down, and he FLEW ON AN AIRPLANE to come be my date.

We double dated with my good friend Katie and her date, Taylor, who's super nice. So I had a great crew to roll with. (And I loved my dress.) 

21. Do you still talk to the person you went to Prom with? 

We're Facebook friends. I haven't actually seen him in almost 10 years, and probably haven't communicated with him directly in all that time, too. 

22. Are you going to your next reunion? 

Probably not the very next one, but I'd love to attend the 20 year reunion. 

23. Are you still in contact with people from school? 

Yep. Mostly just via Facebook. But I was in my friend Corie's wedding and she's still one of my besties!

24. What are/were your school's colors? 

Black and orange. 

No comments:

Post a Comment