Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bad Mood Bailey

Today is a day off for me. While I L-O-V-E love days off, I never quite know what to do with myself when I have one. Today my parents are in town visiting, but they left to run errands, so I lost my potential playmates for the day. I have plans for this evening (to see author Tobias Wolff!!), but only one plan before that, which was no fun at all: a dentist appointment.

I was driving to my dentist appointment, thinking, "I am grumpy! I don't want to go to the dentist on my day off." Then I got there, and aside from the good news that I have no cavities, I just wanted to be left alone. The hygienist, bless her heart, was so sweet, and trying to make conversation--about books, even, and I love books--but I just wasn't havin' it. Then the dentist and the patient next to me were having the most syrupy sweet, pretentious, pleasant conversation (okay, it was very genuine and kind, I just didn't want to hear it), and I refrained from rolling my eyes.

So following the appointment, I decided to get some coffee at Borders and look around. I found a book on sale written by Isabella Bird, who I did a project on in fourth grade, and another little bound beauty, narrated by a girl with whom I think I will become a fast friend. Her name is Judy. Judy Moody, to be exact. Title of the book?:

Judy Moody was in a mood. Not a good mood. A bad mood.

I couldn't relate more. In Chapter One, Judy embraces her bad mood and sarcastically writes "I ATE A SHARK" on her t-shirt. In Chapter Two, she meets her new teacher, Mr. Todd. "'Hello, Mr. Toad,' said Judy. She cracked herself up" (This particular line made me think of Brad). Needless to say, I think we can all look forward to future readings of Judy Moody on The Daily Bailey.

No comments:

Post a Comment