Thursday, May 28, 2009

Worm on the Floor

I don't know his name. Yet.

I have a regular customer who comes into Starbucks, who is rapidly approaching my top ten favorite customers list. I have discovered through conversation that he is a professor, of business related courses, I think, at a university that serves non-traditional students. He used to just come into the store by himself or with his family, but lately he meets his students there to work on projects, like he did tonight.

When my fellow baristas and I first encountered him, we were all a little put off. He came through the drive-thru and said, (I kid you not),

"I'd like a Venti iced green tea, with 90% tea, 10% water, no sweetener, and exactly 12 ice cubes."

Barista Nick used one of his famous sayings in response: "Is this guy serious right now?" So understandably we all thought he was a little high maintenance, perhaps mocking, and perhaps rude. Tonight he jokingly asked us if we were mocking him--ah, how far we've come.

The first experience with No Name Customer that really began to win my heart was on a particularly rainy day. First, he came in the store rather than through the drive-thru, so we got to experience a little more personality. We realized that while his drink order was still a little high maintenance, he was pretty funny. And he wasn't mocking us, he just has his preferences, and I think just likes to be playful. What really got me, though, was when he was leaving. He pointed to the ground near the entrance and said, totally deadpan, "Worm on the floor. Health code violation." (As you can imagine this still gets quoted by baristas on a weekly basis). I didn't believe him at first, but sure enough, due to the day's rain, someone had tracked in a (dead) worm on their shoe.

Since the worm visit, he's come into the store more and more, and he's even become more lenient with his drink order. I think he really just wants light ice, and strong, unsweetened tea. He trusts us, which I like. Some people watch us like a hawk while we make their drink, and let me just tell you right now if you're one of those people, just stop. It's ridiculous. It really is. Also, he's brought in his family, his students, and we've gotten to joke around with him and soak up the free humor he offers.

Tonight, however, he reached a new level of preciousness in my book. This past weekend I was working on my birthday, and Mr. Worm on the Floor was in our cafe working with some students. My parents' car pulled up to the store, and I was surprised to see my dad in the driver's seat because I thought he had left for the airport a few hours before. "What is he still doing here?!" I shouted. Worm on the Floor immediately put his hands up and apologized, "Oh I'm sorry, I'll leave." Well my dad came in and gave me a hug (it turned out his flight left later than I thought) and said goodbye.

So tonight I said something about my dad to my customer and he said, "I saw the hug you gave your dad, you're a Daddy's Girl." Precious, right?? Next time. I'm gettin' his name. Besties, we will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment