Friday, March 18, 2011

Pixelated Joy

I found a website I love.


Need I say more? Absolutely not.

But you know I'm gonna. :)

Their "mission statement," I guess you could call it? Well, the description written in the upper right corner of the site says:

"Sprite Stitch is a community of people dedicated to handmade arts and crafts with themes centered around the video game industry."

I love this website for several reasons, many of which I don't have words for at this hour but I can feel my appreciation for in the gut area.

I'm just very excited to make such crafts, and while I don't play Nintendo so much anymore (although I would, if I had Dr. Mario in my near vicinity) I do have fond memories of it. When I saw the Mega Man quilt on this website, I couldn't help but hope that one of my brothers will someday want to tuck their child in with such after Aunt Bailey stitches it together for him or her. (P.S. I don't think I've actually played Mega Man myself, but I've listened to its music a lot, while P, K, & R played it.)

And clearly I have plans to make such crafts for my own children. Duh. It's just that in the meantime I'd like to keep my crafty little hands occupied in service to video game loving parents by doing my part to educate future generations about all that is Mario and Luigi (and Pokemon, Zelda, Angry Birds...seriously, check this site out!).

I sent an email to several boys I know, asking for their orders (for themselves--this particular email listserv didn't include any parents of newborns) from Miss Craft herself.

I'm a little aghast that my inbox is not full of order forms at this very moment in time.

They might still be getting through the email's preliminary reading, Friedan's Mystique. You know, so we're sure not to be further perpetuating any stereotypical gender roles here of girl as crafter, boy as gamer.

That's me! Cross stitching, loud-mouthed, androgynous little blogger of yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment